- Rinse in cold or lukewarm water and then clean with a soft toothbrush and non abrasive toothpaste or liquid soap.
- Store in the breathable box provided. (Please be aware that dogs will chew/eat the appliances if they are left easily accessible!!)
- Every 1-2 weeks soak in a partial denture cleaner, such as “Caldent”, “Steradent –Active Plus” or “Fresh Active polident”. Tablets are available from chemists and most supermarkets. Soak for 15-20 minutes, then rinse well.
- Every 2 months soak for 15-20 minutes in a white vinegar or weak Sodium Hypochlorite solution made from “Miltons”, “White King”, “Domestos” or any household bleach at a concentration of 200 ppm, approximately ½ a teaspoon diluted with water in a cup or bowl. After bleaching, rinse well and clean gently with a toothbrush and toothpaste. You may experience a mild chlorine taste for the next use (but soaking in this way will prevent mould and bacteria build up on your splint).
- Do not eat or drink tea, coffee or soft drinks with the splint in place. Water can be drunk if the mouth is dry.
- The splint only works and protects the jaw and/or joints when it is worn routinely every night.
- Always brush and floss the teeth thoroughly before use and maintain regular dental checkups – please remember to bring the splint with you, we provide cost free ongoing review of your splint.
- The first couple of nights clean and floss your teeth and insert the splint 20-30 minutes before trying to sleep to allow the mouth to get used to the feeling. Take the splint out if it interrupts sleep and start again the next night.